Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Tornado

I'm in the middle of a miniature tornado. Every particle of my life is swirling around me. I've accepted a summer conservation internship at the University of Kansas. Deep in tornado country! How appropos. So I'll be moving twice this summer. That means finding two places to live. Arranging for summer camps for my daughter in one place, getting her registered for first grade in another. Logistical issue after logistical issue, detail after detail. After these moves, my lifetime count for changing homes will come to 32. 32 moves in 30 years.

Yes, I still keep track.

I quit my job at the bindery. Within the month I will have finished my time at the Library, packed for both of the moves, made a preliminary trip to New York, attended a wedding in California, planned & celebrated my daughter's birthday and finally arrived in Kansas...... I knew the one thing I could reasonably let go to make things slightly more manageable was the bindery job. Though I felt wrenched by the decision, reason won out pretty quickly.

So, my last day was April 26th. I guess it's appropriate for me to reflect upon my time there. I knew from the beginning that it was a temporary position, but one that offered incredible learning opportunities. I think I made good use of my time there, and I certainly gained new friends in the bargain.

Me and Mirthe, the sweetest lady ever to work a glue machine


Richard and Bob 


My last day in CALM Division at the Library of Congress is upon me. Today, in fact. My final report is complete, statistics calculated, all hours accounted for. I'll have a break for week or so, and then I'll be training in Binding and Collections Care Division for a two weeks. I'm really looking forward to learning the treatment protocols at LC, and the folks there seem super nice and the workshop is refreshingly clean. And they don't own or use a hide glue machine!! Bliss.

I guess this blog is going to turn into something of a travelogue for the next few months. ROAD TRIP!




1 comment:

  1. This will certainly brings favorable results right into your business and also amplify your business sales quickly. buy usa facebook fans

    ReplyDelete